[AMPS] In Diodes We Trust...?

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 03:44:09 -0700

>> >?  We pay way more than 4.3 cents for 1N5408s.  We do Not buy the
>> >cheapest stuff.
>>
>> In semiconductors, you might not get what you pay for, but you certainly
>> don't get that which you don't pay for! Over the years, I've seen
>> production lines badly bit because buyers bought the cheapest
>> semiconductor with the type number on, rather than the one engineering
>> asked for.
>>
>> Regrettably, second sources frequently aren't, especially when they're a
>> lot cheaper.
>>
>> A company's reputation can be lost for one or two cents a part - is it
>> worth it?
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Peter G3RZP
>
>The implication he pays a lot to buy better parts than parts
>available at the price I quoted is just a marketing game. "I (claim I)
>pay more so it must be better."
>
>The price of electronic components varies quite a bit depending on
>how many parts you buy and who you buy them from.
>
>For example, first line door knobs from ITT Jennings had five times
>the failure rate of components costing 35% less from High Energy
>Corp.

€  Wow.  With what value, or values, of ITT/Jennings caps. were you
experiencing this failure rate, Tom?  //  Maybe the quality is different
from when Centralab owed the company?

>No one in their right mind who a decent quantity and top quality
>part, and who knows how to source parts would pay more than 5-6
>cents each wholesale, even without beating the manufacturer up.
>
>There is a big difference between wholesale and retail. The only
>way we'd know if the diodes were first line stuff is if we learned who
>the "high quality source" really was, and knew some history about
>how they lasted.

€  The way I find out what I need to know about diodes is by testing.
Sharp knees, excessive forward drop, and erratic, indeterminate avalance
voltages are indicators of problematic epitaxy.

Rich...