[AMPS] Coils

Larry Molitor w7iuv@axtek.com
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:52:41 +0100

At 15:18 02-06-99 +0100, Peter wrote:

>former. How do you get the tension up enough to straighten the tube?

Peter,

I wind my large coils on a form that is about 20% or so smaller in diameter
then the smooth finish form. Wind on a couple extra turns. When finished
winding, the coil expands some and falls off the temporary form. Now you
can slide it over the finish form and it will stay in place. Expand or
compress to get the turns/inch correct.

I have also used this same technique to wind large diameter copper tubing
into a helix which is then threaded into a form made from a piece of
acrylic sheet with holes drilled in appropriate place. This is also a good
way to wind large diameter tubing onto grooved/threaded forms.

You always have such interesting mechanical problems, Peter!

Good luck!

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@arrl.net
http://www.axtek.com/w7iuv