[AMPS] refunds etc

dthomas@pmrf.navy.mil dthomas@pmrf.navy.mil
Thu, 03 Jun 99 11:48:57 -1000

     Tom: concerning your refund from ICOM. just thought i would mention
     this so others might not have to go thru it too. I have a SG-2000 by
     SGC. i was taken in by slick advertising. this is a piece of junk for
     lots of $$$. uses a 2.5 khz filter in both SSB and CW. after wondering
     why there were SO MANY spurs everywhere and CW just would not go
     narrow band, i looked at unit. had a foot pad for the standard lattice
     filter which was not there but there was a discrete part filter. the
     schematic shows an optional CW filter so i e-mailed them. not
     available, got nothing but a LOT of grief and run arounds. no comments
     on the spurs or tuning clicks. gee dale, we haven't heard them at the
     plant. really snotty. these people were NOT friendly at all !! said i
     could buy the new version with DSP. also asked about why the manual
     shows CW max pwr out at 250 watts. oh they said, it can't be used. so
     i asked how they could advertise the unit as being "top of the line"
     when it most obviously was not and why put CW max pwr out at 250 watts
     if it can't be used and is only a indication of component max rating.
     well they said, they were not going to change the manual , there was
     no narrow band CW filter available, and that was that. boy of boy,
     buyer beware for sure. made in the USA and a piece of junk. my wife
     says my motto should be - buy high, fix it up and sell low. uck..
     cheers   dale