[AMPS] Bias for SB-220

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 12:06:54 -0700

>Subject:        	RE: [AMPS] Bias for SB-220
>Date sent:      	Fri, 4 Jun 1999 03:23:21 -0700
>From:           	Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>To:             	"'amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
>
>> >Rich says:

>> >I must admit that I've never thought it through very carefully before,
>> >but unless the bias is switched before the RF gets there, you must be
>> >effectively pulse modulating.
>>
>> €  indeed.
>
>Bunk. The claims that all kinds of splatter is produced are
>nonsense, mostly based on not understanding the effects of IMD.

€  I did not say that all kinds of splatter are produced.  By listening
to two receivers in stereo, tuned about 4kHz apart one can hear a
spit-spit sound whenever the bias is in never-never-land.  Alpha 77s had
an abundance of spit-spit distortion.  Newer amplifiers with RF-switched
bias are a bit better, however, they still produce this feculence.
.  When you proved that your new, improved RF-controlled electronic
bias-switch was better than all the rest with a 3-Tone Test, you made my
day, Mr Rauch.  . Laughter is indeed the best medicine.

>The bulk of the clicks Rich reports,

€   I heard spit-spit distortion on the adjacent channels from SSB
voice-modulated signals.  I did not hear clicks.  //  Tom:  free,
unsolicited advice:  Before saying anything in a discussion, it is best
to read what the other feller actually says.

> if he actually hears them and if
>it is not just psychosomatic clicking,

€  whew

btw, what was the bleeder value in the Bill Orr/"dead-on" resonant choke
supply that almost QRTed you?

-  Cheers, Tom

Rich...