[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 08:29:51 -0700

>Rich,
>Subject:        	Re: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
>Date sent:      	Sat, 5 Jun 1999 23:39:42 -0700
>From:           	Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>To:             	<W8JI@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>,
>       	"Peter Sundberg" <sm2cew@telia.com>
>
>I wrote:
>> >VHF oscillations will not arc bandswitches because they are
>> >shunted to ground  by the low reactance of the tuning cap.
>>
>> €  As I recall, during the grate parasitics debate, Mr Rauch disclosed
>> that had measured self-resonances in Tune-caps that were in the 100 to 200
>> MHz range.
>
>The "omission of fact" that you used to distort the answer was that
>the particular capacitors I measured with high VHF low UHF
>resonances contained SERIES resonances, where the impedance
>went through a wide DIP in impedance.

€  What is the likely Z of a high-Q series-resonant circuit on
frequencies above and below the frequency of resonance?  As I recall, you
measured an AL80 Tune-C series-resonance at c. 180MHz, and the parasite
took place c. 160MHz.

>You did the same thing with the measurements N7WS made on
>suppressors. It seems to be your pattern.

€   According to Wes' measurements, there was about a 40% decrease in
VHF-Q with the resistance-wire suppressor compared to the copper-wire
suppressor.  Are you suggesting that more suppressor Q equates to more
stability?

-  later, Tom.

Rich...