[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:52:01 -0500

>> Boy now thats a parasitic I wouldnt mind having,  all the
>> parasitics that I have seen , most of them around the
>> 4-1000 amplifiers, cause damage to say the least.  When
>> the amp takes off uncontrollably and meters bend around
>> the pegs, resistors blow, safety trips explode, that what
>> I call damage.
>
>Sounds like you have confused outgassing or gas ingress, a fairly
>common occurrence, with a parasitic.
>
>High vacuum arcs are  common in tubes, especially old used glass
>tubes.
>
>I guess if we don't know what a problem is, it's easy to call it a
>"parasitic".

I disagree, Tom.  While some parasitic oscillations in amplifiers are
well behaved, some are not.  In my 4-1000A, for the longest time while
building it I had a slight oscillation that I could produce every time I
brought the tune C to minimum.  No bangs, arcs, etc.

However, at one point I was dealing with a cavity resonance.  The amp was
stable w/o the cover.  Once I put the cover on, I got a big bang and it
wasn't from any gassing.  However, these sort of events are typically due
to some other problem such as a bad layout (the orignal problem in my
amp) or some other failure.  I would venture in a "normally" working amp
that big bang parasitics don't occur.

And to comment on the point that Rich has said he's never seen arcing
from a badly loaded amp:  All I can say is BEEN THERE!  DONE THAT!  I've
had mine mistuned once or twice and heard some real nice arcing.  And I
have a load C with rather large plate spacing.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden