[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:10:02 -0400

Subject:        	Re: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
Date sent:      	Mon, 7 Jun 99 08:58:18 -0500
From:           	Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com>
To:             	<W8JI@contesting.com>, "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>,
       	"Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk>,
       	"Merv Schweigert" <k9fd@htc.net>

> >Ahh. But that was likely a fundamental oscillation, or a low order
> >mode oscillation supported by the cavity. I can make an amp
> >"explode" by making it arc on or near the fundamental. I can wipe
> >out a bandswitch with a HF oscillation, or with excessive drive for the
> >amount of loading used.
>
> OK.  Since I have no idea of the frequency the oscillation occured at, I
> can't confirm or refute your statement.

The nice thing about good circuit theory that follows all the rules is
it can be used to confirm or "cull out" causes and effects.

Unless you have a very high Z in the shunt components of the HF
tank at VHF,  or some pretty poor wiring or connections,  it is
impossible to have a VHF parasitic arc across a bandswitch.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com