[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 19:37:26 -0400

Hi Jon,

> Oh, sure.  But my question is not wether or not it happens.  But as Tom
> pointed out, the filter action of the input pi-network will limit the
> response of the spark pulse.  Plus how large an amplitude is generated?
> Is it enough of a voltage spike to drive the amplifier into conduction?
> And even if it is the output signal on the anode still won't be all that
> large.  And any anode ringing will be even less of an amplitude.  Could
> that ringing of small amplitude be large enough to start an oscillation?
> I doubt it except for in perhaps the most instable of all amplifiers.  I
> have no proof, but neither do you.

If an amplifier is unstable, in other words if feedback exceeds loss
and the phase is correct, it will oscillate no matter what the
perturbance is.

Even shot noise from the normal process of electron emission will
make the PA oscillate if it is biased into conduction.

It would be a design challenge, if not totally impossible, to build an
amplifier that oscillates only when hit with a sharp pulse and yet
behaves normally with a normal signal.

Rich's theories rest on the very shaky foundation that the PA is an
uncontrolled oscillator with feedback levels high enough to send it
into meltdown only on "rare occasions", when hit by cosmic bullets
or disturbed by a relay closure.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com