[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:46:39 +0100

Tom says:

>One cure is to park the resistor outside the suppressor coil, and
>series tune it with a small mica cap. That not only increases
>current through the resistor at VHF, it decreases resistor current at
>HF.

Another method which is very effective at reducing the current in the
resistor is to use a one or two turn link in the plate circuit, coupled to a
parallel resonant tuned circuit tuned to the parasitic frequency, with a
resistor across that. As in the older editions of the ARRL handbook. It also
allows tuning out the reactance of the resistor.

I suspect that winding the choke over the resistor was a practice started
when resistors were generally either carbon composition or the earlier
carbon rod types, which were essentially non inductive; it saved space.

>Since inexpensive non-inductive carbon resistors are getting nearly
>impossible to find

Even EXpensive ones seem impossible to find!

73

Peter G3RZP