[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:30:23 -0700

>Rich Measures wrote:
>>>Rich says:
>>>
>>>      > However, when R-sup fails on 15m, 20m, 40m or 80m,
>>>      >there is seemingly no way that enough fundamental potential could be
>>>      >developed across L-sup to damage R-sup.
>>>
>>>If the
>>>resistor has to be derated because the ambient is 80 deg C, then even the
>>>lower dissipation on the lower bands may well be enough to 'cook' it.
>>
>>€  the R-sups in the 922 receive cool forced air and they are virtually
>>HF-shorted by silver straps.  Does it seem likely that lower-band RF
>>could damage these resistors?
>
>This brings us back to the old problem that we never know the condition
>of the resistor (and/or tube) immediately before it failed. Was it still
>like new, or had it already deteriorated way out of specification? Just
>because the component finally failed on 80m, it doesn't mean that all
>the damage was done on that band.

€  An intermittent push-push vhf parasite is typically so brief that it
causes no external damage to R-sup.  Instead, the damage is internal,
and, as such, can only be discovered with an ohmmeter.   However, damage
from 10m fundamental energy always causes visible damage.

-  cheers, Ian.

Rich...