[AMPS] Henry Radio 10 KW RF Power Amplifier Amp#2

Alan Gray agray@voicenet.com
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 18:00:19 -0400

In case anyone missed it, check this out if you want a good foundation for
that next amplifier project.  It seems that this unit could be had for a
very reasonable price, although shipping costs might run a bit on the high
side?

Alan, W3BV

>I saw this item for sale at eBay, the world's largest personal trading
community, and thought that you might be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=117719432

>Item Description:
> Second Amp#2 Manufactured by Henry Radio 10 KW 46-49 MHz RF Linear Power
Amplifer. This PA orignally cost $50,000 dollars about 12 years ago as part
of a Meteor Burst Communications System in Alaska. It was used as a STANDBY
SYSTEM as a back up to a satellite link and has very little time on the
final amplifier. The Eimac 3CX10,000B7 ceramic/metal (external anode) used
in the final stage is rated for much higher frequency operation and can be
used at 144 MHz for Amateur Radio operation (I know someone who is doing
this.) but I do not know if there is enough room inside of the Final's
chassis to convert it to 144 MHz for EME or Tropo Scatter, also the IPA is
tuned to 46-49 MHz. If you want to see a picture that I took of the type of
tube this PA uses, it is on my home page at:
http://home.att.net/~northernwind/Mvc-005l.jpg and thats no small apple next
to the tube in the photo.("This" NEW tube is also available if you want a
spare tube.) One watt of drive will power this amplifier in linear mode to
six thousand watts output. This unit was built for a continuous 6,000 watts
of linear amplifier RF output. It is capable of much more, the power supply
will allow over 3 amps at 6 KV, thats over 18,000 watts of input power to
that tube if you want it! The PA has two very large solid copper/silver
plated three or four turn coils to ground inside of its chassis, the output
power is taken off of a variable capactive coupling from a plate on the side
of the tube so changing its resonance by modifying or replacing the coils
with something else is easy. Unit uses an Eimac finals tube is rated for
10,000 watts plate dissipation and is a triode ceramic/metal flange mounted
tube. The IPA or intermediate stage uses one Eimac 5-500 tube, the
pre-driver is a solid state brick producing about 12 watts output to drive
the 5-500 when driven with one watt. This unit was used by AT&T in an Meteor
Burst master station in Alaska. It has an internal power supply which is