[AMPS] Two EHT Transformers

M.J.Willis mike@g0mjw.freeserve.co.uk" <mike@g0mjw.freeserve.co.uk
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:26:20 +0100

I have just obtined a nice EHT transformer 1800-0-1800 V at 450ma DC. 50Hz.
This will give via a full wave rectifier circuit 2.5kV. Not sure of the
current but probably quite a bit, it weighs 20kg and has 130ohms secondary
resistance through the entire winding, 65 ohms in each half. To work out
the amateur power output is non-trivial, but I would hope it is around 2kVA
for 50% duty.

I need 3.5kV - not 2.5kV. Is it sensible to add another transformer in
series? Normally one grounds the centre tap, but I have seen the lower
voltage versions of this transformer e.g. 900-0-900 1A used with a bridge
to give 2.5kV, implying the centre tap can sit at half EHT. The transformer
is vacuum impregnated with varnish.

Effectively, I want to series a 1kV PSU and a 2.5KV PSU - will it work
without drama?

73 Mike