[AMPS] Strange Tube Problem

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:24:43 -0500

OK, now that I've bragged about my amp's performance I have a problem
with my 4-1000A!

Tonight I turned the amp on to work some DX and when I applied the high
voltage, I got all sort of blue glowing and sparking inside the tube.  In
fact it was inside the plate structure.  I believe that one would call
this a gassy tube.  The tube draws about 400 mA plate current without
being keyed and the grid current is switching between 0 and 250 mA as the
internal sparking occurs.  At one point I drew over an amp of plate
current.  Since it's all inside the plate structure, I am assuming that I
have a tube that has developed a SERIOUS case of gas.  And no, I don't
think it is parasitics although some may claim this!

The last time I used the amp was exactly 2 weeks ago.  Everything was
working fine.  It has been sitting idle for the last 2 weeks as I have
been traveling and w/o time to play radio.  All my HF antennas have been
disconnected at the entrance to the shack, so it hasn't taken a lighting
strike unless the strike came through the 110 or 240 Volt lines, but all
my other equipment works fine.  The HV power supply works fine when I
disconnect it from the tube.

Is this tube gassy?  Is there a way to fix it?  I am trying baking it
right now with just the filaments.  So far it hasn't helped.  Should I
pop in a new tube?

Thanks in advance.

Guess I should keep my mouth shut about performance.  Why does Mr. Murphy
like me so much!
:-)

73,

Jon