[AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak

George T. Daughters gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:59:18 +0008

It has been written...

> 	> Is there a difference between peak power and True peak power?

I suspect (opinion only) that "True peak power" is a term invented by
marketing, in the specsmanship game.  Like "Our peak power rating is
the TRUE peak power. Other manufacturers are fibbing.  They are
telling us a FALSE peak power."

I remember "true RMS voltmeters" being advertised and sold a while
ago.  (OK, a long while ago.)  When you looked at how they arrived at
"truth,"  it was by measuring the RMS voltage by heating of a
resistor, rather than ASSUMING a sine wave, or square wave.  So,
"true RMS" meant "RMS."

73,
George T. Daughters, K6GT