[AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:28:36 -0400

> >I use a freshly calibrated oscilloscope and HV multiplier probe to
> >measure
> peak-v across the load, which I then convert
> >to PEP with a calculator.
>
> Which method actually measures the PEP according to its international
> definition, and is modulation independent. What more could you ask for?

I use a good peak storage amplifier with a LM-358 and a
conventional directional coupler, which reads peaks perfectly well
with all types of modulating including pulse in the microsecond
range.

I don't have to use the scope method, which is actually much less
accurate in both resolution and from power error caused by load
impedance changes.

As a side benefit, I don't have to do any calculations.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com