[AMPS] Tube rating question

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:47:17 -0500

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:42:54 -0800 Vic Rosenthal <rakefet@rakefet.com>
writes:

>Eimac's data sheet says that the 3CX800A7 has a plate dissipation of
>800 watts.
>But then they say that it '...will deliver 750 watts PEP and 750 watts
>keydown
>CW output to 350 mHz'.
>
>I don't think they're talking about class A, are they?  If an
>amplifier were 65%
>efficient, I would expect to be able to get around 1200 watts from
>this much
>plate disssipation.  What am I missing here?

Marketing mumbo jumbo in order to impress the FCC. One tube can easily
and safely run 1200W out key down. Check out the Titan, Command 2500,
etc.
The original Eimac spec sheet rated it at 1370W PEP, quickly derated when
potential amp mfg going for FCC approval.
A pair in the 70cm K1FO Lunar Link amp will do well over 1500W even tho
the tube is only rated to 350 MHz.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73,
>Vic, K2VCO
>Fresno CA
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]