[AMPS] Ripple current ratings of high voltage caps.

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 17:35:01 -0500

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 20:00:31 +0200 "John Fielding" <johnf@futurenet.co.za>
writes:

>HI Rich - from Nichicon catalog for the GQ series, the leakage current
>for a 470uF @ 450V
>should be less than 1380uA to remain in spec.  Probably a worst case
>but over 1mA still
>seems a bit high.  And leakage current is temperature dependent
>increasing as temperature
>goes up.  For comparison the 85C series (LQ etc) have the same leakage
>current specs.
>BTW the spec is for a capacitor having the rated voltage applied for 5
>mins, measurement
>is taken after the 5 mins.  How does this compare with the CDE parts?

Go on-line and see for yourself. There is simply too much data to belabor
the reflector much longer.

73  Carl  KM1H

>We see very little
>US component data here, mostly Japanese and European, would be
>interesting to compare the
>various manufacturers.
>
>John	ZS5JF
>

>----------
>> From: Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>> To: km1h@juno.com; amps@contesting.com
>> Subject: Re: [AMPS] Ripple current ratings of high voltage caps.
>> Date: 06 March 1999 01:31

>un-necessarily on
>capabilty is a

>is that
>supply.

>> >I have to agree with Rich on this one !
>> >
>> >I can not speak for Nichicon but the life and derating curves for
>the CDE
>> >380 85c and 381 105c series show a much longer expected life span
>when
>> >both are run at 85c. Even at 45c the 105 c cap has a significant
>edge.
>> >
>> >Further, at equivalent 85c temperatures, the ripple ratings are
>almost
>> identical.
>> >
>> >IMO, in an anode supply of an amp in the 1200W or higher category
>the
>> >105c cap will make both life and economical sense.
>> >
>> €  amen, Carl.  I have replaced plenty of 85 deg C rated
>electrolytics.
>> I have replaced no 105 deg C rated electrolytics.
>>
>> >Personally, I would not want to use the ALL Electronics specials in
>> >anything much above a SB-200 size amp without running temp and
>leakage
>> >tests.
>> >
>> €  Agreed.  Anything over 250uA of leakage at the rated V is
>suspect.
>> Also, capacitors that are slow to reform are showing signs of aging.
>

>> Rich...
>>
>> R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures
>>

>> --
>> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampfaq.html
>> Submissions:              amps@contesting.com
>> Administrative requests:  amps-REQUEST@contesting.com
>> Problems:                 owner-amps@contesting.com
>> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]