[AMPS] Transformers

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:45:42 -0500

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:11:43 -0500 "Pat Poirier" <hkman@hitter.net>
writes:
>>In the 40 pages of my Dahl catolog, I found almost nothing but Ham
>Radio
>Manufactures. ie, Alpha, Ameritron, Amp. Supply, B&W, 4 pages of
>Collins,
>Dentron, Drake, Globe, Gonset, Hallicrafter, Heath, Henry, Johnson,
>MFJ,
>National, SWAN, Ten-Tec and Yeasu. That doesn't look like CB to me.
>You must
>have the CB catolog.

10-4 good buddy; guess you just skimmed and didnt read too close. Many of
those names you mentioned were not for amplifier xfmrs, others are for
orphan brands.

>>>Henry has sold over 30,000 amplifiers over the years and with
>anything
>>>parts fail.
>>
>That came from Henry Radio about 5 years ago, can you dispove it ????
>>Where does that info come from?  How many are ham?

Still no answer; must have selective reading syndrome.

>>Why has Henry pretty much been eliminated in medical amps?
>>
>What is your source to that statement ??

Who wants to know?

>> People run their amplifiers well beyond the manufactured
>>>specifications during contest and at other times and sooner or
>later
>>>something lets go.
>>
>>Yep, but one would expect an economy amp to skimp on the PS; not
>>something touted as heavy duty.
>>How is it possible to push a pair of 3-500Z's or a 3CX1200A7 beyond
>its
>>ratings with 100-120W of drive? I doubt if all amp failures are due
>>FT-1000D drivers.
>>
>I never said that all transformer failures was from over pushing the
>tubes.
>But I have been at a friends contest station contesting with his group
>then
>we did have transformer failures and tube failures.

Failures do occur.

>>Time and moisture are also issues that play on the
>>>components.
>>
>>The most common failure mode is due to capacitor or diode problems,
>not
>>an inadequate xfmr.>
>
>I thought this thread was about transformers or at least that was what
>I was
>talking about.

I see, then associated PS problems are not included?

>>>If there were so many Henry transformers that were letting go, then
>>>why does Dahl only list 9 direct replacement transformers and 23
>extra
>>>heavy duty transformers for people who want more out of their
>>>amplifier.
>>
>>Thank you for agreeing with my point. If the original would not fail
>>before the tube(s) reached their rated potential who would need 23
>extra
>>choices?
>>
>I know of several people that replaced their transformers due to the
>fact
>that they wanted more.

I know of several that replaced them with Dahl "exact replacements"
because they couldnt get what was advertised either.. "Rugged, Reliable,
etc"

>>Why not ask the reflector how many Ameritron, Amp Supply, Alpha or
>other
>>quality xfmrs have failed. Dahl doesnt even list a HD xfmr for most
>of
>>those amps.
>>
>You need to look again, your looking at your CB catolog again.

Do you want the # of my optomertrist?

>>That is a total of 34 different transformers for about 30
>>>plus years of manufacturing and many different models over the
>years.
>>>We sometimes miss the point, if Carl has a new product that is
>>>available to us when we need a replacement and it is of quality and
>>>reasonably priced he will sell a lot of them no matter who the
>>>amplifier manufacturer is. I don't think Carl is going to get rich
>>>selling replacement transformers for Henry amplifiers, but if he has
>>>good product maybe the competition will drive Dahl's prices down
>and
>>>give us more choices to find a replacement transformer, if and when
>>>needed.
>>
>>I will be a mere drop in the bucket compared to Dahl. I had no plans
>>even get involved with Henry xfmrs but was urged by many in private
>>E-Mail who do not share the same warm feeling as our Mr Hype
>Salesman.
>>
>Carl I was paying you a complament with this statement, for your
>effort to
>go into a product field that is heavly dominated by Dahl,

And I thank you.

but you are
>so mad
>at Dan about everything, you have become blind and your key board
>posionous.

Me angry ( only animals get mad)?  From your last statement it sounds as
if you live a sheltered life in the land of the politically corrrect.  Is
not including your ham call deliberate?
I have often taken my knocks on this reflector, but I have yet to see Mr
Hype ever admit to any problem with those wunnerful wunnerful amplifiers.
Last night a ham called me looking for recommendations for an amp. It
seems that they barely missed winning CW Multi-Multi when their Henry amp
blew.  The MLA-2500, LK-500 and other toy amps ( according to Dan, even
Alpha's are toys)  made like the Energizer Bunny.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]