[AMPS] Ripple Current

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:23:22 -0500

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:37:05 -0000 Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:

>Assuming the doubler is the 'full wave' one (i.e. two caps in series
>shunted
>across two diodes in series, with the ac between the junction of the
>caps
>and the junction of the diodes) each cap gets a charge every other
>half
>cycle. In the intervening half cycles, it gets a discharge. So the
>ripple
>current in the capacitor is the same frequency as the supply. The
>heating
>effect (which I guess is the bottom line) is then the rms equivalent
>of the
>charge current plus the rms equivalent of the discharge current, all
>squared, times the ESR at the line frequency.
>
>I'd guess that the ripple current rating should be much the same at 50
>as at
>100Hz (or 60 and 120)

Tnx Peter.

I seem to remember Tom Rauch commenting about extra capacitor stress in a
FW doubler compared to a FWB. Also remember a rather heated discussion
amongst the engrs at National that resulted in them ordering special HD
rated caps for the NCL-2000.

Oh well.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]