[AMPS] Chokes and Dipping chokes?

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:47:16 -0500

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:44:06 PST "Bill Murphy" <zuluhe@hotmail.com>
writes:

>I have just completed several homebrew chokes, the question is what is
>
>the most effective way to use a dip meter to check these chokes for
>resonance. I have tried several coupling methods, but the dips change
>
>depending on  how you couple the dip meter to the choke. I seem to get
>
>very sharp 30>200mhz dips, but the <30 mhz seem weak. I am using 2
>turn
>coupling on the end of the choke, there is a 5" lead between the
>coupling turns and the choke base. I noitice that if i direct couple
>the
>dip meter to the base of the choke the dips change freq. Maybe its
>just
>my pathetic Jap Dip meter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There should be no reason to use a coupling loop. The most accurate
method is to hold the GDO as far away and still get an indication. Use a
rcvr for calibration accuracy.
Some units couple better than others, the Kenwood is one of the better
imports. For a long term commitment to home brew, etc, chase down an old
Measurements Model 59.

73  Carl  KM1H