[AMPS] re: commercial plate choke

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:51:50 -0700

A few days ago I asked a question regarding availability of
commercial plate chokes and how to test homebrew chokes.

Recommendations for commercial units were mostly Ameritron and RF
Parts. I ordered the one from RF Parts, which, according
to RFP's literature, is the one used by Ameritron. $22.95.

Recommendations for testing involved bringing a gdo into the
vicinity of the choke, with the choke installed in the
circuit. I had a big fat resonance in the middle of 15 meters.
Fortunately the B+ series resistor and diode across the plate
current meter shunt prevented any major damage in the ensuing
flash-bang. The choke had tested good all by itself outside
the amp, with the terminals shorted, using the gdo.

There was another recommendation for testing the choke, which involved
disconnecting the choke from the tube, to see if pi-net resonance
changed. That sounds like a good idea also, but I haven't tried it
yet.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]