[AMPS] Sheet Metal bending brakes

Phil T. (VE3OZZ) phil@vaxxine.com
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:34:13

A while back someone asked about sheet metal brakes.

Home/hobby size brakes are available from BAC Industries in Minneapolis, MN.

I saw all 3 of their models at Princess Auto, which is a chain of storesin
Canada selling new and surplus harware of all sorts ("auto" is about 10% of
what they stock - they had the inlet compressor for a jet engine rolling
around in an aisle, not far from a surplus military 5KW 4 cylinder
generator while I was there).

These look pretty good.  You could roll your own after seeing one.  You
need to be aware of the maximum gage each unit will handle.

You can check out the brakes at <http://www.bacindustries.com/>.

For metal sheet :

		    B&S gage      USS gage
	       20 ga =   0.032"	0.037"
	       18 ga =   0.040"	0.050"
	       16 ga =   0.051"	0.062"
	       14 ga =   0.064"	0.078"
	       12 ga =   0.081"	0.109"
	       11 ga =   0.091"	0.125"
	       10 ga =   0.102"	0.140"

I'm not sure, but I think B&S gage is used for aluminum, and USS is used
for steel.
If anyone knows different, pleae say so.

Phil