[AMPS] Output power 8877

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:57:14 -0500

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:59:38 -0600 "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
writes:

>From everything I've ever read, ferrite is inappropriate for a tank
>inductor
>core. Powdered iron is appropriate. The toroid core's dimensions for
>legal-limit power level is that of Amidon's T-400-A, which is 4-inches
>by
>1-inch. I have used this core on 160M, 80M and 40M with no heating in
>my
>3-500Z (2) amp.

I should think not!

B&W used a 3 stack of T225-2A in the PT-2500A ( 2x 3-500's at 3500V) for
160M and a seperate 2 high stack for 80/40M Pi coils.  Never had any
drift problems even during a full bore contest. The L coil was airwound
Pi-Dux.
There was an arc over problem to the toroid cores until they switched to
a double wrap of Scotch 27 glass tape plus changing the Pi-L parameters a
bit. This goes back to 1986.

73  Carl  KM1H

(3-KV) Q=12, PI-L. I use two T-200 cores (stacked) in
>the L2
>inductor. Windings are spaced so that about a 2-inch gap exists in the
>L1
>inductor. This was a single-bander amp, so no taps were ever tried--my
>point
>being the core was fully wound in each case up to the 2-inch gap on
>each
>band. Glass tape is used to insulate the core from the winding.
>
>Luck!   Roy   K6XK

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]