[AMPS] CW amplifier progress (well, daydream progress) -- lon g

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:06:00 -0800

>snip---snip---snip---
>
>Of course, it is obviously impossible for the non-technical weenies to
>actually switch the amplifier on into a standby mode when starting the
>operating session - in which case the amp is ready to go by the time
>you're comfortable in the chair and decided which band to go on..............
>
>Peter G3RZP
>---snip---snip---snip---
>But... why pay for all that electricity when 90 or more percent of the
>time you don't need the amp?

An 8877 has a 50w heater.  Is 50w a big deal?  In this neighborhood,
we're talking 1/2 cent per hour.

>Wouldn't it be easier on the tube(s) as
>well... longer lifespan if only turned on when needed? - Bill H.

Not if the heater is operated just above the minimum V spec.   //  I have
seen Europe-California 80m sunset geo-mag-duct openings that were history
in c. four minutes.   .  In the Boy Scout's the motto is Be Prepared,
IOW, keep your cathodes at the ready.

Rich...