[AMPS] CW amplifier progress (well, daydream progress) -- lon g

Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL grimm@lynchburg.net
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:31:49 -0500

Peter Chadwick wrote:

> >and they certainly don't waste time thinking.....
>
> Hmmm........Certainly true in Europe, where many so called DXers haven't yet
> figured out that if the DX is transmitting, then he isn't listening, so
> there's no point in calling him.
>
> 73
>
> Peter  G3RZP

Ahh!  You are on the verge of understanding why we must have instant on!
Anything that stands in the way of getting there before the collection
of nonstop calling lids gathers is to be eschewed.

Actually, I've got several amps and only one is instant on.  My trusty
and very productive homebrew 3-1000Z is the one that has worked most of
the DX.  When I am feeling shiftless, lazy, and otherwise in a
ragchewing mood I push the On button on the 3x 3cx800a7s and rare back
in my chair, contemplate my navel for a while until the "you may now
proceed" light comes on and then join the throng on 160 or 75 until I
fall asleep at the wheel.

My only point in starting this rather inane thread was to point out that
technical considerations aren't ALWAYS the ONLY ones in choosing an amp.
How you plan to use the amp may also play a role.  Now back to the
workbench and the pair of 813s.  They are instant on, aren't they? :-)

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net
BoatAnchor Manual Archive - http://bama.sbc.edu or
ftp://bama.sbc.edu/boatanchor