[AMPS] Instant ON..

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Thu, 18 Mar 99 15:26:16 -0600

>My point is that very few actually need instant on, they only think they do.

I have a question about all this instant on stuff:

So your amp is sitting there off with the bandswitch on 20 meters.  Say
you hear your DX, turn the amp on but what happens then to the tuning?
You still very likely need to tune your amp to operate properly on your
desired frequency.  Yes, yes, I agree that there is typically enough
bandwidth that you can move around the band a bit w/o tuning, but what if
you have moved far enough to change?  What if the amp was tuned for the
CW portion of the band and now you are on phone.  What if the amp is
tuned for 20M and you are now on 40?

I know that those fancy commericial Alpha amps have auto tuning which is
slick.  I doubt many homebrewers get that complex though.  And even with
the auto tuning, the Alpha isn't instant on.

So what good does having the tube instantly ready to for you if you still
need to tune the amp?  Or do you hear the DX and just tune up on
frequency like a lot of morons do?

73,

Jon
KE9NA