[AMPS] misc topics

w3am@juno.com w3am@juno.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:12:22 -0700

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:03:05 -0700 John Lyles <jtml@lanl.gov> writes:

>I remember when CD's were being challenged by the purist audiophiles,
>someone came up with the idea that if you cleaned them or rubbed them
>with
>some magic goo, then they 'digital grundge' would be remedied....

There was the ArmourAll your CD's craze for a while, and the green
markers for the edge of your CD's, and...

And the Tice Magic Clock, a "modified" Radio Shack digital clock (for
$400) which, when plugged into the same outlet as your $30,000 stereo,
would make it sound, (and your TV look), better somehow.

Then there's the VPI Magic Blocks, steel bricks that would clear up
fuzziness in your $5,000 tube amplifier when you placed them on top of
the transformers.

High End audio is great entertainment, even if you never listen to
anything.  I only wish I'd thought of these things.  Maybe I could afford
that 8K Ultra...

However, the black shoe polish in your SB220 is supposed to reduce
reflection of radiant heat back to the tubes, allowing them to run a
little cooler.  Seems logical, I guess.  (Just don't wear a brown belt
while DXing, or others will note your poor taste and assume you're some
kind of hick.)  ARRL lab tests between Kiwi and Shinola are ongoing...

73,
Gary
W3AM
  W3AM  -   Gary Blau