[AMPS] Fuses

Richard W. Ehrhorn w4eto@rmii.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:29:21 -0700

I never (knowingly, at least) experienced a "Rocky Point bang" until I
began working external-anode, ceramic-metal tubes, Larry. First the
3CX1000A7/ 3CV1500A7, then 8877, 8874, 3CX800A7, 3CPX5000A7/3CX15000B7, and
4CX800A/Gu-74b. Never, so far as I know, with 807(!), 6146, 813, 4-400A,
4-1000A. Suppose 807 & 6146 are red herrings - 600-750V probably couldn't
break down the internal spacing short of mercury or neon fill. But with
4-1000As @ 4-5kV the only Bang!s I could identify came from violent VHF
parasitics - usually blowing away everything connected to the screen.

But for the 3CX1000/3CV1500, which have thoriated tungsten filaments and
banged at least as often and as loud as any, one might have wondered if the
oxide-coated cathodes in the newer-generation tubes had been somehow
involved in creating "barnacles" and bangs! I guess not.

73,  Dick  W0ID