[AMPS] Amp opinion/infomation requested ASAP!!

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 02:20:58 +0100

For whatever it's worth, my SB-220 will match an indicated SWR of well over
3:1 on 80 meters (running my 80-CW array on 75 phone) with normal grid
current.  In other words, as long as the plate loading is capable of
achieving a match, loading heavily enough causes the grid current to drop
down where it should, and adding a little more loading gives some safety
margin.  I can see where this would be important for tubes with fragile
grids, but the message is that excessive grid current isn't the unavoidable
accompaniment to high-SWR loads, if the Pi network can match them.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Loud is.