[AMPS] Amp opinion/infomation requested ASAP!!

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Mon, 29 Mar 99 16:40:20 -0600

>I do not own an antenna tuner and have no need for another device of
>questionable efficiency.

I understand why folks do this, especially after having some arcing
problems in my tuner on 80m during the WPX contest (had to do an
emergency cap repair on my output cap in the tuner - a plate had some
serious meltdown!).  However, there are a couple of reasons why I like
the concept of a tuner.  For one, it gives an additional layer of
harmonic filtering.  Second, low pass filters are designed to have their
lowpass response based on a 50 Ohm input and output and third, power
meters are pretty much designed the same way.

So how do you get around this?  Having a power meter on a non-50 Ohm
system probably isn't a big deal.  But I think it could be a big deal
with the lowpass filter.  Or do you not run a lowpass filter and count on
the harmonic suppression in the tank circuit to be good enough?

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden