[AMPS] Re:HV on tube w/o filament voltage

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:13:47 -0800

Mr. Ehrhorn -
Anyone can download a free e-mailer app. that handles attribution.
If you run Windows OS, the URL is:
http://www.vcnet.com/help/win.html
If you run Mac OS, the URL is:
http://www.vcnet.com/help/mac.html

>Don't you  think the HV filter will generally discharge much faster than
>the cathode will  cool down & lose emissivity, Peter...?  Even if the HV
>contactor/relay takes 50 ms to open and the tube(s) look like ~1k dc load
>without bias, I think the HV is pretty well gone in another 50-100 ms.

€  agreed.  However, in Class AB1 amplifiers using oxide-cathode tubes,
to preclude the possibility of cathode-stripping, it might be a good idea
to make sure that the bias supply bleeds down much slower than the anode
supply.    This is why there is no bleeder R on the filter capacitor (C1)
in the electronic switched Class AB1 bias supply shown in Figure 4 on my
Web site.

>Don't think much cathode cooling occurs in 100-150 ms. HOWEVER, if there's
>any solid evidence to contrary it's something I'd sure like to know!
>
>73, Dick

Rich...