[AMPS] Purchase Recommendation?

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Sun, 2 May 1999 23:22:20 -0500

>What's all this about parasitic oscillation, etc, with the SB-220 and do I
>really need to worry about it?? Any other things I need to ask the current
>owner if I find one I'm interested in?

Horsepucky.  If the amplifier is working, don't mess with it.  If it
ain't broke; don't fix it!

>Do I need to worry about whether the ALC is compatible with my rig, or do I
>just throttle back the output power so as to never overdrive the amp? The
>FT-920 has a menu setting where I can limit max output power to anything
>between 10 and 100 watts.

ALC is likely compatible.  However, if you set your rigs max output for
whatever is the max input of the amp, you shouldn't need ALC since that's
what it does.

>Rich pointed out that since my FT-920 has fast T/R switching, that I *do*
>need to take the QSK capabilities of the amplifier into consideration. It's
>my understanding that QSK really only applies to full break-in CW - I
>generally operate phone and RTTY only so won't be doing a lot of rapid
>switching betwen tx and rx. So do I really need to worry about QSK or not?

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it.  Some say that with the TX speed of
modern rigs, you need it so you don't hot switch.  However, when you key
down with SSB you don't generally start talking in a couple of
milliseconds.  Again, I wouldn't worry about it and I would only make
whatever modifications you deem necessary after having the amp and
working with it for a while.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden
KE9NA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na