[AMPS] Plate transformer, chimneys

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 4 May 1999 05:51:26 -0700

>>.....  For intermittent service such as SSB/CW the
>>doubler can actually be more efficient since it uses a larger guage
>>secondary wire;
>
>?  good point.  .  .  IOW more copper and less paper.
>
>But isn't the transformer utilisation factor worse with the doubler, leading
>to higher peak currents, and so more loss? OK, so resistance is less, but
>loss is I squared R. This makes the choice more difficult.

€  So it would seem.  .  However, the decrease in R with half as many
turns required is better than what one might expect since fewer layers of
paper lets one use a bit larger gauge of wire than would at first seem
possible.  Thus, utilisation increases with a doubler design.  //
Another advantage of the FWD is ripple semi-cancellation -- i.e., as one
capacitor bank is discharging, the other is charging.

> think I'd go
>for the bridge because of this...but I prefer the tuned choke input with the
>bridge to reduce strain on the tranformer and rectifiers.

€  And especially for RTTY and AM broadcasting duty.  //  With a tuned
choke filter, FWB is the only reasonable choice.

-  cheers, Peter

Rich...