[AMPS] Purchase Recommendation?

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Tue, 4 May 1999 10:55:42 -0400

>I go along with Pete and Rich here. Also, I'm told that some of the
>modern radios will give a 'spike' of RF on key down without an input,
because
>the gain is high, and the switching transients give a 'glitch', and the
ALC
>won't operate fast enough to catch it.

After taking great pains to modify the ALC circuitry in my Ten-Tec Omni Six
Plus, it became apparent to me, for the first time, that a tradeoff exists
between choosing an optimum ALC time constant that minimizes the R.F. spike
and a time constant that will preserve the leading-edge CW waveform
integrity.  This appears to be most problematic at power levels less than
the transceiver's maximum rated power, oftentimes square in the power range
where the amplifier is best driven.  In my opinion, all transceivers should
incorporate a seperate ALC or Drive control for this purpose.

-Paul, W9AC