[AMPS] failed RFC, rice boxes, etc.

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Mon, 10 May 1999 10:43:35 -0600

Thanks to all for the advice on small HF all mode rice burners. I am
looking forward to seeing a written test review of the FT100 from Yaesu.
Anyone seen anything in print?

No one even mentioned the simple Ten Tec Scout. Besides being no frills,
and simple, is it a good performing box? I would suspect it would be easier
to tune while driving than punching 4 menus and the up/down key on a blue
backlit display. Of course the TPO is a bit weak, and all the latest boxes
seem to be pushing a hundred watts PEP. Also some over twice the cost.

----------------

Re: Dick Greens experience with the shorted 3-500Z and RFC failure>

I believe that the shorted tube did draw a slug of current, maybe
internally arcing the plate to grid to cathode, if it was up to air. It
blew the fuses right?  And if there was insufficient series R and a lot of
stored energy in the caps, yes, it could pull the turns together on a
poorly fastened plate RFC. Think about a hundred ampere spike in a
solenoid, even air wound. Quite an electromotive force to be developed, for
a short time.
 A lot of the strange operation could be explained generally speaking by
resonance in the RFC, once the turns were overlapped and bunched. When one
finds a choke in this condition, it may be wise to try testing it with GDO
first to see what it looks like.

Thats 2 cents worth.

73
John