[AMPS] Arcing in air vs. arcing in a vacuum

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Mon, 17 May 99 09:34:55 -0500

Hi all,

I got a question.  I had a discussion with a ham friend of mine on our
way to Dayton this weekend.  We were talking about the *gas* theories in
tubes and tube arcing.  His comment was that from his experience, he has
determined that the voltage breakdown potential of a vacuum is LESS than
that of the voltage breakdown potential in air.  He said that while doing
some EMC testing of a product he has designed for his company, he found
this to be the case.  He had to simulate lightning strikes at high
altitude and thinner air.  The breakdown potential was much less at
higher altitude (thinner air) than at the thicker air of sea level.  The
arcs happened at less voltage at high altitude.  So he has made the
conclusion that if the breakdown potential of thin air is less than
regular air, the breakdown potential of a vacuum is less still.  I don't
know if this jump can be made.

Can someone help explain this?  All my instincts tell me that a vacuum
has the highest breakdown withstanding potential.  I seem to remember
hearing once though that thin air ionizes easier than "thick" air so
perhaps that explains it.

Thanks a lot.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na