[AMPS] Arcing in air vs. arcing in a vacuum

Richard W. Ehrhorn w4eto@rainbow.rmii.com
Mon, 17 May 1999 14:38:59 -0600

Hi Jon...

Sorry you caught me w/my head under the table Saturday and were gone by the
time I stood up & figured out who'd said "Hi."

If your friend's theory was correct, vacuum capacitors surely wouldn't
work, would they? There's a big difference between "reduced air pressure"
and a hard vacuum - sounds to me like he made an incorrect extrapolation
from one to the other.

As you go from sea level to, say, 10,700 feet altitude where W0ID is, the
breakdown voltage of a given air gap decreases. IF this led to arcing in an
air variable tuning cap that worked okay at sea level, one solution would
be to replace it with a vac cap - which also would be smaller because the
spacing in typical vac caps is much closer than in their counterpart air
variables.

I guess maybe the answer is that when the air molecules get far enough
apart it's hard to find enough of them to ionize an (arc) path. I'm no
physicist but bet John L. can explain the physics without going back to a
textbook.

BTW, all ALPHA amps since 1977 have been built and checked out between 5000
and 6500 feet, and all have been extensively tested at 10,700 feet. It's a
useful stress test, 'cuz cooling efficiency also is lower in lower-density
air at high altitude.

73,  Dick