[AMPS] Alpha 91b Metering Question

John Fielding johnf@futurenet.co.za
Sat, 29 May 1999 08:49:12 +0200

I don't know the amp in question but from your description I think I know what is going
on.

I suspect from the power meter readings you are getting the meter reads peak power.  If
so it is fairly easy to explain why the measurements are different.

An average reading wattmeter would indicate 100% for full key down, about 30% for dots
and about 60% for dashes.  A peak reading (holding) wattmeter reads the same for either
condition.

1.	Most transceivers put out a narrow leading edge spike of power when the key is first
pressed.  This can be 50% or more of the average power depending on the rig and how
quickly the internal ALC drags the power back to what it is set for.  A peak reading
wattmeter will see this as the full peak power.  One way to reduce this error is to
reduce the hold time of the meter.

2.	In a typical tube amplifier the ht sits higher when in idle mode than when full key
down.  So fast keyed cw would allow the amp to attain a slightly higher peak power than
full key down.

Hope all of this makes sense.

John	ZS5JF