[AMPS] Whither the 807?

George T. Daughters gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:52:55 +0008

wo0pw wrote...

>  I'm going to have to fess up to this.  I believe that
> myself and another teen age ham began using the terms 807
> and 6146 back around 1959 as a form of code to discuss on
> the air what we had been doing without our elder bretheren
> on 80 meters knowing.   To my knowledge, we independently
> created the terms, but my memory could be faulty due to the
> many 807's and 6146's since that time.

You may have independently come up with it, but you weren't the
first.  My old friend and Elmer, Jim, w9jbz, used the term frequently
in 1955.  I don't know where he got it.  Why didn't the term "1625"
become popular for a higher potential (more alcohol) libation become
popular?

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT