[AMPS] A look underneath the Ugly amp. chassis.

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 16:20:50 -0600

on 11/3/99 09:59, measures at measures@vcnet.com wrote:

> During the Great Debate,
> there were many stern warnings from critics of "The Nearly Perfect
> Amplifier" (Jan., 1994 *QST*) -  to the effect that manufacturers don't
> use rheostats to control filament voltage (as per the article) because
> rheostats simply do not last in this application.    The rheostat still
> works after a dozen years of service.

WHY?  Why would a rheostat stop doing what a rheostat is supposed to do???

> One should keep in mind that above its self-resonant frequency, a
> capacitor looks like an inductor.  For example, your typical 0.01uF
> disc-ceramic universal "bypass" capacitor looks like an inductor on 20m -
> 10m.

I agree with your comment.  I am surprised though that the caps are that
poor.  I know even most "quality RF" caps (mica or otherwise) begin to look
really bad above 30 MHz, but I am surprised things look bad above 14 MHz.

73,

Jon
KE9NA