[AMPS] Re: SB220 problem

measures measures@vcnet.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:03:12 -0700

>When my Kenwood TL922 quit, I pulled out my trusty(?) SB220, which has been
>sitting under my radio bench for a number of years, put it in place, & tried
>to tune it up.  However, I couldn't get any output from it although the
>antenna relay clicked.  High voltage in the CW/tune position is 2700V.  When
>I turned the switch to grid current the needle pins all the way.
>Anyone with suggestions?

Install glitch diodes to protect meters.
Remove +110vdc from relay's bias contacts to prevent shorted tube from
destroying fil. transformer. .
Install glitch R in hv positive lead.
If your 0.82 ohm grid current shunt is open, chances are you have a gassy
tube, or you had an internittent parasitic oscillation.    To find out
which, it takes a high.-pot. tester.

good luck, Joe