[AMPS] 3500Z Bang! Final

Jaime P.Ullívarri EA6NB1@teleline.es
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:34:05 +0100

 After cooking the valves now they work correctly I am describing my
“Cooking Recipe” if it is of any use for other ham with the same problem.

I have followed Bill’s instructions, and I have been cooking each valve one
by one.
First with the HV disconnected (this is easy with the L7 but you have to be
very careful) left it for about 20 minutes with only filament voltage, after
that I connected back the HV (again with the amp unplug from the mains).
Switch on the mains, this time using a Variac at about 180v and gradually
going up to 220v, left it in STBY for 15 min.

I did repeat the same procedure with the other valve, and after exactly the
same with both valves. I left them on STBY for 12 h.
Now the valves work at full power with no Bangs or other problem and I can
get about 200 or more watts than with the older ones, just as new, hope they
will keep that way for long.

Well now next problem,I have to think in climbing to the tower to see what
happens with my Tail-Twister it refuses to turn and today is quite cold for
Mallorca, 10 deg .

Thanks to all, Jaime.
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Coleman [mailto:n2bc@stny.rr.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 1999 3:12 AM
To: Jaime P.Ullívarri
Subject: Re: [AMPS] 3500Z Bang!

Jaime, sounds like one of them is shorted... from transporting it, or???
You could possibly see a grid to filament short with an ohmmeter. Ohm them
both out first to rule out gross level problems.

After that, I would try one at a time. Cook each with filament voltage only
for 30 to 60 minutes, then use your variac to gradually bring up the plate
voltage.

Be careful in there!

GL Bill   de N2BC