[AMPS] Plate Transformer Ratings

Jim Smith jimsmith@gotnet.net
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:08:05 -0800

    Hi all,
I just purchased 2 old military transformers, still in their wooden crates
for cheap. I figured I'd somehow be able to use them between all the
projects I'm working on, but I do have a few questions.

1) Is there a simple way to convert between KVA ratings, CCS, and ICAS?

2) Are there special considerations required for transformers, or their
cores when used in RF applications?

3) Does potting help with insulating the windings, or with heat dissipation,
and thereby extend the life?

4) What is the significance of the secondary resistance?

    The transformers I picked up are 110 volt primary, 3100 volt secondary,
1.7 KVA, weighing in at 85 lbs. each. I figured I could wire the primaries
in series, and the secondaries in parallel if I wanted to feed them with 240
volt, but then again that would be 170 lbs. just for the transformers.
    I measured the secondary resistance at 214 ohms. It made no difference
whether the primary was shorted or not. I don't know if it's of any use, but
the primary resistance was 0.1 ohms.

    Your comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jim Smith, KQ6UV