[AMPS] 2 tone intermod test

measures measures@vcnet.com
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:38:31 -0700

>Hello, I want to run a 2 tone intermodulation distortion test on my hf
>transceiver to check for splatter vs. compression level, microphone gain
>settings etc. I know this is not an amplifier question, but this list is
>probably where I can get the best answer. I'm running an Icom-756 (and Alpha
>89A). Running this test on an amp would be pretty straight forward, but how
>about on a transceiver? Does anyone know how the test is done on
>transceivers?

The 2-tone test does not simulate genuine rotten splatter.  For this you
need a complex waveshape.  A human or an African gray parrot is such a
source.  The splatter test is done by tuning a double-filter Rx (such as
a TS-830) about 3.7KHz above and below the test signal to isolate imd
products from the fundamental) and then comparing the signal strength to
the fundamental.  Since S-meters tend to be inaccurate, a 1db step
attenuator.should be used to measure relative signal strength.

cheers, Dave

- BTW --   the only splatter that matters to the FCC is what goes beyond
the Amateur Radio Service band.
..