[AMPS] 2 tone intermod test

measures measures@vcnet.com
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:28:18 -0700

>Rich, why should the receiver only be tuned to a 3.7khz offset?

Because you want to be able to see the 3rd order, 5th order products and
very little of the fundamental.  .  If the offset is more you will not
see what you are looking for.  .

>What about
>the rest of the band? Also, what is generally accepted as an adequate signal
>to splatter ratio?

minus 32db is ok.  TS-830Ss typically do around minus 38db.

>........ I guess I can run a
>test with voice but it just seems so subjective and would be hard to show
>the results to anyone at the Icom factory in case I decide to send the
>exciter in for a tune up.

IMD products are pretty much fixed if the RF output unit has the
specified idling current.

cheers, Dave