[AMPS] 2 tone intermod test

Harry Brown hbrown@voicenet.com
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:43:48 -0500

John,

I have not been paying much attention to this discussion but I did have this thought about generating and measurment of two tone using a computer with a sound card.

There are a lot of people using sound cards these days. They seem to be doing marvelous things with them.

It seems to me that a sound card could generate the two tones (or more) quite easily and I beleive with a very good fidelity (low harmonics etc,). This could provide a test signal into a transmitter/amplifier that is being evaluated.

Another receiver might be used for the reception of the transmitter under test and it's audio (with no agc and some calibration) used to demodulate the transmitted signal with the audio output going to the input of a sound card/computer. The sound card would detect the two tones and even tune the receiver (most ham transceivers these days have computer control) to sweep the frequency to measure the two primary tones and the intermod products to provide a performance measurement of the transmitter under test.

The test receiver might use a narrow band filter and tune for the sum and difference products. I obvious am no expert on this but it seem interesting. Has this been done? Where are the holes in this idea and what might be done to plug them?

73, Harry, W3IIT

One At 07:29 PM 11/24/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi Dave & all,

>I didn't say the "tones don't change fast enough", rather that the stabiliser circuits

>tend

>to "dc restore" the complex waveform and therefore don't follow the input correctly.

>Incidentally (ignore this part if you are au fait with 2 tone tests) a 2 tone test

>waveform is a 100% modulated AM signal as the peak voltage is 2 x the individual

>amplitude and the summation of the signal drops to 0V at the troughs.

>Using a sharply rising signal doesn't necessarily give the expected results either in a

>transceiver.  You got to remember that there are several parts of the transceiver which

>frequency shape the output signal.  The most significant is the ssb filter, which has a

>BW of about 2.5kHz and therefore has a natural damped oscillatory period.  Hit any

> high Q narrow band filter with a big pulse of power and it will ring for several cycles

>or

> longer depending on the damping factor.

>To test an amplifier on its own one has to use 2 rf carriers spaced about 1kHz apart with

>equal amplitude and the correct pep power level, not a simple piece of test equipment to

>make.  Oh and I forgot to mention.  This test signal must have intermod figures at least

>6dB better than what you are trying to measure.  No mean feat when you are talking about

>a 100W pep input signal.   I have been that route at work when testing high power

>amplifiers.  A typical g-g amp for hf which uses a good pair of tubes (I'm not going to

>get drawn into the argument of what is a "good tube"!) should be capable of better than

>-40dBt  (40dB below the peak power of either tone) which is -46dBc (pep).  Very few

>modern

>solid-state transceivers can get to that level, let alone 6dB below it which is what you

>need to test the amplifier for 3rd order products.  When 5th order and higher products

>are considered it is almost impossible to make a clean enough drive sorce to test such an

>amplifier, unless you use a tube running in Class A with about 1kW anode dissipation!

>BTW  The spacing of the 2 tones is fairly critical.  If using 2 audio tones into the mic

>input

>you cannot exceed about 1.5kHz spacing or else one tone will be dropping down the slope

>of the ssb filter and you won't get the correct amplitude ratio.  If you use 2 rf

>carriers another pitfall awaits the unsuspecting.  At close spacing the difference

>frequency, the bit which does the damage is low in frequency.  If you were to use, say,

>10kHz spacing the bias decoupling circuits can cause some very wierd effects and

>introduce distortion which isn't there for low tone offsets.  I know , I have it happen

>me.  Supporting what I said in my original post that we prefer the "traditional" test

>because it masks some of the funnies!

>my 2 cents worth.

>John	ZS5JF

> [...]

<center>Visit the Mt. Airy VHF Radio Club at:

</color></underline>Check the June 1999 VHF Contest Photos at the Web
site

Info on VHF/Microwave Nets, Beacons & Subscription to Cheesebits

</center>Beacons at 50.080, 144.284, 222.065, 432.295, 903.071,
1,296.251, 2,304.037, 3456.220, 5,760.200 and 10,368.200 MHz from FM29JW