R: [AMPS] Conjugate matching and amplifiers

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Fri, 1 Oct 99 09:40:39 -0500

Maurizio Panicara wrote:

>Although selective mismatching in RF amplifiers is not an heresy, but a
>practical, logical and controlled way of decreasing (fixing) stage gain,
>efficiency is something unavoidable at high power level in order not to
>waste energy and not to stress components without any reason.

Good points, Maurizio!

Another case in a low signal level environment where you want to mismatch
and amplifier is in a low noise amplifier configuration.  Minimum noise
figure and a conjugate match don't go together.  Minimum noise figure is
generally achieved at some mis-matched impedance.  However, in a receive
path, we are concerned with noise performance and NOT with power transfer.

The problem is that most hams (US at least) have the idea in their mind
that the amplifier must produce 1500 Watts output with 100 Watts of
drive.  So they design around that.  This is a shortsighted and silly
idea.  It certainly doesn't result in optimal efficiency and optimal
performance.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na