[AMPS] Conjugate matching and amplifiers

measures measures@vcnet.com
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 19:59:19 -0700

>Roger D. Johnson wrote:
>
>>Poor Jon is going to think I'm picking on him but I must disagree on his
>>statements about conjugate matching of amplifiers. In reality the PA tube is
only
>>matched to the extent that it produces the desired power output.
>
>Nope, not picking on me!  It's a good discussion!
>
>First of all, I do agree with your statement.  In reality your right, we
>match the tube for our desired power output.  But is "desired" power
>output really the most efficient or is it the maximum available power
>output?

€   Who tunes for max efficiency?

>>We can see this by the design
>>steps required. First, the output power is selected. Then we pick a tube and
>>reasonable anode voltage to produce that power. Then we compute the necessary
>>current and multiply that by a fudge
>>factor for the class of operation. The anode voltage is divided by the
>>previous value and that gives the impedance the tube must work into to
produce the
>>desiredpower output.
>
>OK, You are correct here.  The tube needs a specific load impedance to
>work into.  For my 4-1K if I remember correctly it is on the order of
>4700 Ohms real resistance.
>
>>A matching network is then designed to transform that impedance to 50 ohms
(usually).

>Correct.
>
>>Notice that at no time was the actual output impedance or load
>>resistance of the tube used!
>
>Huh?

€  it's gotta be a typo.

>.......because the tube is not linearly biased.  It acts more as a switch

€  Undoubtedly unsliced bologna.  You outta know better, Jon.  The tube
is typically biased linearly for over half of the 360-degree cycle.

>and therefore that impedance varies over the drive cycle.

€  The critical moment is the instant of max. peak emission when
instantaneous anode volts reach a minimum.  .

> This is the reason
>also that the tank circuit needs to have a fairly decent Q so that it can
>constantly deliver energy to the load over the drive cycle of the tube.
>I wouldn't want to stake my life on it, but that specified load impedance
>is probably pretty close to the average output impedance of the tube over
>the drive cycle.  That's the way the laws of physics require it to be in
>order to maximize power transfer.
>
>>The fact that the tube is not "matched" to the load also explains why
>>most of the reflected power is again reflected at the amplifier and goes
back towards
>>the antenna.
>
>No, that's not correct.  If the output of the amplifier tank circuit is
>conjugately matched to the impedance of the feed line, you won't get any
>power reflected back to the antenna.  The fact that the tube might not be
>matched completely to the tank doesn't affect that.  The tube not being
>completely matched to the tank means that you won't be able to deliver
>all of the available power to the tank in the first place.

€  When the tank is tuned for max out into a less than perfect load, one
is delivering all there is.  //  Who tunes their amplifier for a
conjugate match?

>In other words, a mismatch between tube and tank decreases gain and
efficiency.

€  not if the tank is adjustable.