[AMPS] Smith Chart center point

Phil T. (VA3UX) phil@vaxxine.com
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 08:06:00

At 10:43 PM 10/1/99 +0100, you wrote:

>>The
>>50+j0 point on a Smith Chart is the very center of the chart.  A VSWR has
>>the 50 Ohm point as its center.
>
>Nope. The center on a standard Smith Chart is 1.0 ohms. You are either outa
>school too long or never knew it to begin with. Remember the little part
>about normalization? 50 ohms is neither sacred nor universal.

Actually, they do make Smith charts with 50 ohm centers. I had a stack of
them here until they were used up.  The charts with the "1.0" centers I
think are in wider use because they're not restricted to any particular
surge Z, and they can be used for Z or Y data points.  I prefer these over
the 50 ohm jobbies.

Phil