[AMPS] Conjugate Matching (again)

Roger D. Johnson n1rj@pivot.net
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 12:43:32 -0400

Just to make sure I was correct, I looked up conjugate match in one of
my textbooks. A
conjugate match exists when reactances are cancelled and the resistance
of the load is
matched to the internal resistance of the generator. Under these
conditions, the power
transfer is maximum. However, since the resistance of the load and
generator are made
equal, the same power is dissipated in both thereby limiting the
efficiency to 50%. If your
amp is over 50% efficient, then it can't possibly be conjugately
matched. As I stated earlier,
we don't design amps for maximum power out. We design for desired power
out whilst
keeping the tube in the linear portion of it's operating range.

73, Roger